Friday, March 16, 2012

The Last 13 Days - continued!!!

Standing up at trade show computers while Dan is working  . .so I might as well blog!!!  Getting into it I guess, need some photos and background colors - probably will have to do the PINK thing since that is what this is all about - but just not sure  - I only wear some PINK - whereas some of my friends . .one is particular who shall remain anonymous (Paula) always wears and looks good in PINK.

So where was I?  Ah yes,  leaving the hospital on Saturday March 3rd . . Dan and Karen pick me up from the hospital and we drive around to find a place to go eat breakfast.  Of course I have already had a great breakfast at the hospital - more tapioca pudding. . .love it.  So anyhow we take Karen to Chez Peres, because there is no power at our home.  They actually had a tough time making into town because of all the downed trees.  I just have soup - my sister has banana nutella french toast, Dan has an incredible omelet and we all have wonderful coffee.  It really is one of my favorite French cafe like restaurants in TC. We finally go home and I get to see my Maggie (12 year old - OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG) who is ecstatic that I am back home.  It really is true that a dog loves you unconditionally.

Dan keeps the fire going - I take my  new pain pills  Tramadol - but I am really not in too much  pain.  The Jackson-Pratt Surgical Drain is a thorn in my side - literally.  It has to be emptied twice a day . . of course I didn't read that instruction first and was draining it every four hours.  No harm done - just a lot of liquid!!  I am lucky however, it could have been something coming out of my intestines so I thank my lucky stars.  I sleep in front of the couch for a few hours.

Texting is my favorite past time - it keeps me in touch with my kids who some of them (JSB) don't answer me as often as I like - but it is better than calling and then going into their voicemail.  I do the same thing if I don't have time to talk to someone who is calling me.  That is a confession I shouldn't make - but hey this cancer thing makes you pay attention to telling the truth the whole truth, so help me God.  (some filtering of course)

I see a text from Paula that her mom is having a panic attack - probably worried that she is leaving for Florida for a week's vacation with her husband Vince,  I call him Dr. Dr.  (yes two times - !!)
I text her back that she should give her mom some Xanex, because it is now my new BFF.  I texted her back I think after I wake up from my nap - pretty secure that this comment would make her laugh.

The phone rings while I am in the garage talking to Paula - I try to sound up because I know she is checking up on me!  It just took me a second to hear her voice and KNOW . . .Lillian had sent me a card along with her husband George just a week before - saying they were praying for me.  Now I was praying for her peace as she had made her way to be with HIM.  95 years old . . . she was a "spitfire sweetheart" , a woman I will never forget for her humor and tremendous love she had for her husband of 60 years, her daughters, their husbands, her grandchildren and great grandchildren.  I think she and I would have been great friends had I grown up with her. . .


I am sure we went out to dinner - pretty sure it was the Elk's club - but my memory of the rest of that day has now faded.

We go to sleep at our home with no power, candles lit and fireplace glowing.  I sleep sitting slightly up on the couch as  Dan keeps coming out through the night to keep the fire going.  (Different context that what it would mean 25 years ago!)  My sister is upstairs with a hat on and four blankets to stay warm.  Some people have checked into hotels,  but my husband is always an OPTIMIST thinking that the power would be back on soon.   (Four days is what it ended up  being - more on that later)

We plan to go to Church in the morning since we didn't make it for the 5 o'clock mass due to afternoon naps.


Karen and I have decided we are moving OUT on Sunday if there is no power. . .now we just have to convince Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment