Friday, June 29, 2012

Repaired Booby goes to Ireland


Repaired Booby goes to Ireland



Two days post my #5 Chemo we left for our long awaited family trip,to Ireland!  Of note about my fifth session, I wore a Mr T wig provided for me by Sue M and Katie M. Of course I had to complete the outfit with the customary set of lots of gold chains.  Dr.K doesn't quite know what to do with me...but he did say his office will miss me when I stop coming.  The curious thing that he said though was ”after this, there is nothing more I can do for you”.  That didn't sound very promising, so I will have to question him about this on my last visit, July 3rd.



Worst thing about my reactions this time is the damn watery eyes...I look like my eyelids have been turned inside out and my eyes look like a ”deer in the headlights”. I continue to have all my moles in various areas of my body, especially my chest, inflame and then finally settle down.  My left arm, the vein area where the chemo goes in appeared to burn this time.  Kinda bothers me because there aren't too many choices when it comes to this without having to do a port...my right arm is out of commission because of the lymph nodes that were removed.  Oh and my finger nails look hideous, as if they are lifting because all of the sudden there is more white than pink...but they are stronger then they have ever been...weird!



I am going to get a second opinion about the melano-cysts that were found in the lymph nodes to make sure that they are not a precursor to anything else..I expect to hear from the University of Michigan's Melanoma clinic when I get home....but first I have my sister's family coming to visit, and a week of Cherry Festival to get through first!



So...our trip to Ireland included our whole family, DJ, Megan and Joe, Tommy and Jack! A trip we have dreamed about for five years!  The timing was just right!  College graduations accomplished, DJ leaving for law school in August, Megan and Joe moving into their first big home two days after they return, and Jack’s summer school schedule  accommodating his absence.



We had lots of laughs, lots of Guinness and  Bulmers, Beautiful countryside and breathtaking shorelines.  We dined at some very special places taking advantage of eating all of the fresh seafood which we are not used to having in Traverse City.  For three days we all stayed in one house together which was a blast..except the mattresses sucked!  But it was fun to have us all together under one roof and able to relax in the living area by a fire. (interesting sharing two baths with 7 people, only 2 women sharing with all of the guys, toilet seats always left up..I actually thought I had taught them all better than that!)



The biggest lesson of the trip for me is that as much as I know that I will always be their mom, and want to help them with suggestions about how to navigate life with my recommendations, they are no longer mine.  I don't own them, and they don't owe me anything.  They will go through the passages of their lives without requiring my assistance and really not wanting my advice too often, and only if they ask.  And once they ask, chances are they will not take my advice anyway...it is just the way Life is meant to be...they all have to row their own boat.  All I can do is pray they all have safe journeys,  that they are happy in their hearts, and hope they know how deeply I love each and every one of them, and hope they forgive me for any mistakes they feel I made raising them.  And hope that someday they understand...



My hope is that we can keep them all together at least once each year so they realize the importance of staying close even if they live far apart.  Often a struggle for many families, and I can't say that I have been good about keeping close to my own relatives.  Once you have your own children, you make them so important for so long, you are like in a fog trying to raise them.  And the distance of the miles makes it hard too! 



Of course, by the next big trip, they should all be able to take us!!!!!



It was a blast, and certainly a bucket list for us all!



We had a family photo taken by Elaine Kennedy while in Dingle.  I will be excited to see it...wig, watery eyes and all.. . Of course everyone gave me grief about it...can't wait until they all try to do their own photos with their families someday ...what goes around comes around and I hope I will be around to just smile at their frustration and tell them ”I know how you feel”.



IREland....goodbye!


No comments:

Post a Comment